SAS Undergraduate Teaching Assistant
The SAS Undergraduate Teaching Assistant (UTA) position gives students the opportunity to support incoming Schedule for Success (S4S) students holistically and contribute to the development of the math support class SAS 100AX. The SAS UTAs will serve as in-class facilitators and mentors to students and aims to give students a degree of flexibility with regard to how they work within the position.
Schedule for Success is a program for first year students who are enrolled in Math 100. Students in the S4S program have access to a Learning Specialist, as well as dual enrollment in Math 100 and SAS 100AX. This position will be for the Fall 2021 semester, with the possibility of working in Spring 2022 and following semesters. The rate of pay for Fall 2021 is $12.65 per hour.
The SAS UTAs will receive extensive training in facilitation strategies. They will develop their understanding of professionalism and leadership. They will leverage their own unique identities and experiences to contribute positively to the experiences of students enrolled in SAS 100AX.
- Lead SAS 100AX classroom discussions on study skills, facilitate collaborative learning, and assist with classroom management in Zoom.
- Respond to students' emails about the class and the Schedule for Success program.
- Assist SAS instructors with the operation of projects in the SAS 100AX D2L site.
- Promote THINK TANK and UA services, particularly encouraging S4S students to connect with their Learning Specialists and Math 100 support.
- Share their experiences at the University of Arizona with first-year students.
- Provide feedback and reflection about SAS 100AX to program staff.
- Other duties and special projects as assigned by program staff.
- Current UA student with an interest in helping other students develop study skills and acclimate to college level coursework.
- Requires excellent interpersonal and communication skills. Highly dependable and punctual.
- Commitment to creating a welcoming and positive environment and sensitive to student diversity.
- Must be available for mandatory trainings in August the week prior to the start of the semester, August 18th, 19th, and 20th.
- Must be available Fridays from 9-10 AM or Fridays 1-2 PM during the fall semester.
- Available to work daytime hours as well as optional evening shifts.
- Available to work at least 5 hours per week, preferred for 10-15 hours per week, primarily during the day.
- Reliable internet and familiarity with Zoom.
- Preferred qualification but not mandatory: students who were enrolled in the Schedule for Success program their freshman year and/or experience working with the Math learning platform “ALEKS”.
- Resume detailing relevant educational, employment, extra-curricular and/or volunteer experience
- An up-to-date unofficial transcript (from the University of Arizona or a previous institution)
- Supplemental questions: You will be asked to provide answers to these questions in the form. You may want to draft answers to these questions in a document and copy and paste them into the form.
- In a paragraph, please explain why you are interested in the SAS UTA position.
- In a paragraph, please describe your relevant experience and how it is pertinent to this position.
If you have any questions, including accessibility requests related to the position or hiring process, please contact Caitlin Kerrigan, Associate Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to Apply
JOB OPENING STATUS:
No positions available at this time.