About This Job
The THINK TANK Writing Center supports the development of student writers throughout their whole career at the UA. Our peer tutors meet with undergraduate and graduate students to offer helpful feedback on any kind of writing at any stage in the process. Tutors conduct sessions and workshops both in person and online. This is a student-friendly, on-campus position with no prior tutoring experience required.
The starting wage rate is $13.75 per hour for undergraduate tutors and $15.25 per hour for graduate tutors. Undergraduate tutors are expected to work a minimum of 10 hours a week, attend weekly trainings, and work towards CRLA (College Reading and Learning Association) certification. Graduate tutors are expected to be available to work 8 or more hours per week. Pay raises are commensurate with additional CRLA certifications. All training is paid and we work with your class schedule to determine your work hours. Tutors have the opportunity to engage in mentoring and leadership opportunities in later terms. Tutors report to the Writing Center Services Coordinator and to the Assistant Director for Writing Support.
In this position, you will:
- Cultivate a deeper knowledge of writing practices across genres and academic disciplines
- Gain leadership and mentoring experience
- Refine interpersonal communication skills
- Develop your public speaking and presenting abilities
- Have the opportunity to engage in research and training development
- Provide one-on-one and small group tutoring sessions
- Engage with training materials to inform and improve tutoring practices
- In consultation with the scheduling program coordinator, commit to a weekly work schedule for the semester (10 hours a week minimum)
- Participate in pre-semester training and weekly meetings
- Abide by University of Arizona Code of Conduct and Academic Code of Integrity
- Current UA student with an interest in helping other students improve their writing
- Strong writing abilities, regardless of major/minor
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Minimum GPA of 3.0 and have an A/B in writing-related courses
- Commitment to creating a welcoming and positive environment for all students and sensitive to student diversity.
- Preferred Qualification: graduation in Fall 2023 or later.
How to Apply
JOB OPENING STATUS:
Currently accepting applications for Spring 2023 until Tuesday, November 29th.
Click the button below to complete the online application form for a Writing Center Tutor position.
Questions can be directed to Marisa Pesa, Writing Center Coordinator, via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
About THINK TANK
The goal of THINK TANK is to assist students in becoming independent learners by providing a range of resources that will develop students’ skills and help them become successful academically. THINK TANK provides both free and fee-based tutoring, Supplemental Instruction, Academic Coaching, and mentoring delivered through peer tutors, Academic Skills Tutors, graduate assistants, and professional staff in centralized and satellite locations.