Graduate Assistant, Tutoring Program
Position Title: Graduate Assistant, Tutoring Program
Department: Student Success and Retention Innovation, THINK TANK
Reports To: Tutoring Services Manager
Hours Per Week: 20 hrs (primarily evenings and Sunday)
Salary: $21,750 at .50 FTE Academic Year contract
Benefits: All graduate assistants at The University of Arizona receive in-state tuition waivers and are considered in-state students for tuition purposes. All graduate assistants are provided with health care coverage. Graduate assistants are eligible for a 10% discount off the price of select items purchased at all ASUA Bookstores, subject to Bookstore policies in effect. Benefit coverage does not include miscellaneous fees and any additional tuition assessed by academic programs and colleges.
The mission of THINK TANK is to empower UA students by providing a positive environment where they can master the skills needed to become successful lifelong learners. THINK TANK is committed to creating and maintaining an environment that is diverse, inclusive, and free of discrimination.
General Duties and Responsibilities
This position is part of the academic support and service department designated as THINK TANK. The goal of the department is to assist students in becoming independent learners by providing a range of resources that develop their skills and help them become successful academically. All staff members are expected to work toward the achievement of this goal. Appropriate training will be provided by department staff.
- Familiarize self with current research, theory, and best practices regarding tutoring and academic success.
- Supervise a cohort of tutors.
- Observe, evaluate, and provide feedback to tutors on a monthly basis.
- Follow established guidelines to communicate workplace information to tutors.
- Provide evening and weekend oversight of tutoring programs.
- Act as site supervisor in the absence of professional staff.
- Assist with marketing programs. Complete program related projects and assignments as requested.
- Provide tutor training within CRLA ITTPC guidelines, and in conjunction with other tutoring staff.
- Maintain communication between tutors, Tutor Program Manager, Tutoring Services Coordinators, front desk staff and other Think Tank staff.
- Assist in program assessment.
- Adhere to set work schedule and maintain accurate record of work hours.
- Responsible for regularly communicating the progress, outcomes, and direction of work to the Tutor Program Coordinator.
- Make recommendations concerning improvement of programs and services to the Tutor Program Coordinator.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- In collaboration with a Tutor Program Manager support the following areas within the program:
- Online Tutoring: Assist Tutor Program Manager in providing training, oversight and problem solving strategies to Online Tutors
- Marketing Initiatives: Assist Tutor Program Manager in marketing efforts within Tutoring Program, research and develop new marketing initiatives
- Assessment: Assist Tutor Program Manager, Math and Science Specialist in developing assessment initiatives within Tutoring Program, provide weekly usage reports and assist in performing data collection, documentation and analysis
- Tutor Development: Assist Tutoring Services Manager in providing professional development guidance to tutors, assist in developing, revising and facilitating training curriculum
- Applicant must be currently admitted or enrolled in a graduate degree program within University of Arizona. Degree areas preferred include: mathematics, chemistry, biology, education, public administration, management, social sciences, humanities, or Higher Education. Other degree areas may be considered as application and/or needs warrant.
- Enrolled for a minimum of 6 units of graduate credit while fall and spring classes are in session (audit course are not included) and maintain a 3.00 cumulative GPA for all university Graduate credit courses.
- Interest in implementing and facilitating an academic success program.
- Commitment to making the learning success of students the central concern of relationships with them.
- Commitment to creating an environment sensitive to student diversity.
- Ability to establish a supportive, not dependent, relationship with students.
- Evening/Sunday availability.
The preferred applicant will have experience in supervision and/or education or educational support.
How to Apply
JOB OPENING STATUS:
No positions available at this time.
Questions can be directed to Kate Harris, Tutoring Services Manager, email@example.com.