Schedule for Success (S4S)
For many majors at the University of Arizona, math is a foundational subject, and we are committed to providing students with the tools they need to succeed. The Schedule for Success program combines customized math courses with professional academic coaching and individualized tutoring to help launch students into their chosen field of study.
Students are selected for the program based on their major, as well as their Math SAT 1/ACT or placement exam scores. Schedule for Success is an evidence-based program that utilizes best practices for math support and has a demonstrated track record of helping UA students succeed in their first year and beyond.
Students selected for S4S are enrolled in a Math Success Strategies course (SAS 100AX) and a Math Problem Solving Lab (Math 100).
SAS 100AX: Math Success Strategies (2 units)
- Meets twice a week in-person
- Topics include test-taking strategies, math anxiety, time management, fixed vs. growth mindset, and motivation
- THINK TANK tutor in class to provide individualized math tutoring
- Maximum of 19 students per class, allowing for personalized teaching and support
- Courses are grouped by major, allowing students to collaborate with peers in their field of study
MATH 100: Math Problem Solving Lab (3 units)
- Hybrid class (meets one day a week in-person, one day online)
- Each student focuses on math topics in which they need the most improvement or mastery
In addition to these five units, students' fall schedules will include up to eight units of additional coursework. In the fourth week of the semester, once students have had a chance to adjust to college coursework, they are given the option to add a 3-unit, 10-week General Education course supported by Supplemental Instruction study groups.
Professional Academic Coaching
- Learning Specialists are professional staff members at THINK TANK who are passionate about student success and serve as academic coaches.
- S4S students meet with a Learning Specialist throughout their first year and discuss academic habits, study strategies, and navigating life as a college student.
Additional Academic Support
- S4S students receive unlimited free drop-in tutoring at any THINK TANK location, including La Paz Residence Hall, a space reserved exclusively for S4S students.
- S4S students can utilize two free private tutoring appointments per semester for any class that receives tutoring support by THINK TANK.
- S4S students can take advantage of 10-week general education classes supported by Supplemental Instruction.
- The Math department provides open office hours at Pascal’s (ILC room 140) where students can come for math tutoring and support. Pascal’s is the same location as the in-person component of Math 100.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Click here to view Frequently Asked Questions from Students.
- Click here to view Frequently Asked Questions from Parents.