Academic Skills Tutor
Job Title: Academic Skills Tutor
Reports to: Academic Skills Coordinator
Hours per Week: Flexible, 5 hours/week
The THINK TANK serves as the central academic support center on our campus. The Academic Skills Tutoring program was developed to help students expand their study skills and organizational strategies to become more academically successful. As students themselves, Academic Skills Tutors serve as role models for the campus with their ability to model the strategies and techniques that they teach other students about. They do this through workshops, tabling events, drop-in sessions, and appointments. These services are open to all students on campus.
- Present academic skill workshops for the campus community
- Meet with students one-on-one to provide academic skills tutoring
- Build and maintain rapport with students attending one-on-one tutoring sessions
- Provide guidance and support to assist in transitions and improvement of study skills/habits
- Discuss skills such as college-level time management, study strategies, successfully maneuvering the university environment, and related topics
- Promote THINK TANK services to students through visits to campus organizations and classrooms as well as one-on-one student interaction
- Create materials such as bulletin boards, handouts, videos, and/or other products to promote student academic success
- Other duties as assigned by Academic Skills Coordinator
- Achieve and advance certification through the College Reading and Language Association as a Mentor
- Commitment to creating a welcoming and positive environment and a sensitivity to student diversity
- Requires excellent interpersonal and communication skills. Highly dependable and punctual.
- Current Arizona student (preferred completion of at least 24 units of Arizona course work) with an interest in helping other students develop study skills and acclimate to college level coursework
- Possession and maintenance of at least a 3.0 cumulative GPA
- Must be available for mandatory trainings in August
How to Apply
JOB OPENING STATUS:
No positions available at this time.
Benefits of the Position
The Academic Skills Tutoring position provides employees with extensive training and opportunities to practice communication and presentation skills. Academic Skills Tutors often report increased confidence in presenting, improved academic strategies, and increased awareness of campus resources.
About THINK TANK
The goal of THINK TANK is to assist students in becoming independent learners by providing a range of resources that will develop students’ skills and help them become successful academically.
THINK TANK provides both free and fee-based tutoring, Supplemental Instruction, Academic Coaching, and mentoring delivered through peer tutors, Academic Skills Tutors, graduate assistants, and professional staff in centralized and satellite locations.